Filed under Threads

Week Five – Stalling for Time, I Mean a new Sketchbook Caddy

So here is my first actual filler week.  I made myself a new sketchbook caddy that was full of fail and sad.  I used the pattern found at for the Norma Envelope clutch.  Basically, the idea was to have something smallish that could hold my bare essentials, and keep my sketch supplies well organized.

What I wound up with was an entirely different matter.  I am no stranger to sewing, so a bag shouldn’t be all that hard, but tri-fold assemblies have never been my strong suit.

Here are photographs of the immense fail of this bag:







A list of some of it’s faults:

  • Main pocket does not hit bottom of bag
  • Main pocket goes past top of bag
  • Strap for pen clips is to short to use
  • Tiny eraser and sharpener pockets to low to use
  • Horrible piping
  • Terrible side seams
  • Dreadful closure
  • Somehow, the nice picture I took of the front of the bag managed to fail in transit.

Though even considering all of those faults, It is an easy bag to carry around, and it does fit all my business nicely.

Fear not readers – I am slowly working on some pieces of actual art that I am happy with.  Just biding for time to do them the justice they deserve.

Week Three – Clearing the Decks.

So here we are, beginning to get down to brass tacks.  If you think the last two weeks were a cop-out, quit thinking that.  This week I poured twelve hours into a fine piece of craftsmanship if I do say so myself.  I really want to use this year to push myself further in mediums I have used before, and to raise and unify my artistic style and vision across all mediums.  In short, I want to find myself as an artist.  I want to learn the sound of my voice and make it soar.

M. Moss, a Study 8x10 embroidery on cotton

Ladies and gentlemen, meet Mr. Maurice Moss of IT Crowd fame.  Moss is an 8×10 embroidered portrait, satin stitched in 4 shades of 3 strand DMC cotton.  The hair, tie and background are 100% cotton fabric.  The hair and tie are both stitched down.  This is all satin stitch folks – 12 hours worth.  A rediculous amount of work, but well worth it in the end.  This is left unframed, as it is a commission and the owners wish to frame it themselves.

Look at that mug!I'm ready for my closeup, Mr. DeVille.











Full disclosure – I’ve had this mapped out for some months now.  The actual build did not start until Monday, however.  I am contemplating doing these as commissions with very specific source image requirements, of course.  For which, I would need to make another that doesn’t belong to someone else.  I’m thinking John Stewart.  I do need to rest my sewing hand before I do another of these.  Stitching the appliques was the hardest part, and the hair took me several hours to sew down due to frequent breaks for my hand.

Hopefully I will have an animated gif of my 7 days of progress on this up later this week.  For now, I am signing off, satisfied with my work and hustling on to my next project.